Hospice House, a 10 bed residential hospice located in downtown Fredericton, provides 24 hour care to palliative patients and their families. Care is offered by a specialized team of nurses, support staff and physicians in a home-like, caring environment. Through physician referral, admission to Hospice House is on a voluntary basis and patients can be admitted directly from home or transferred from hospital.
Patients must be registered in the palliative program to be eligible for inpatient care within Hospice House. It is the palliative physician that determines if a patient is eligible for admission. Following receipt of a referral, our admissions team will work closely with the patient, family and medical partners (such as Extra Mural) to ensure a smooth transition to the facility at the appropriate time. For more information please feel free to contact us.
Hospice House Admission Criteria:
- Must be 19 years or older
- Diagnosis of terminal/progressive illness
- Patient not a risk for wandering
- Agreeable to End Of Life (EOL) care and symptom management as required
- Patient not displaying aggressive behaviors
- Valid medicare card
- Patient does not require regular transport to hospital
- Limited diagnostic/disease specific treatment required
- Life expectancy of 6 months or less
- Palliative Performance Scale 50% or less